Thursday 17 September 2015

03 - The Greek Alphabet


03 - The Greek Alphabet

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Omega. That's about all people tend to know about the greek alphabet!

When you think of the greek alphabet, its very unlikely a person will be able to name any more than the four letters listed above! When I lay awake last night, I tried to list as many letters as I could. Those were the four that I knew, but Sigma and Theta popped into my mind as well (The joys of GCSE maths) but that's all I could remember.

We all know the English alphabet (Hopefully) for those of you who need reminding, it's:

1. A  2. B  3. C  4. D  5. E  6. F  7. G  8. H  9. I  10. J  11. K  12. L  13. M  14. N
15. O  16. P  17. Q  18. R  19. S  20. T  21. U  22, V  23. W  24. X  25. Y  26. Z

So that much we know, but what about the greek alphabet? I tried coming up with a list of all 26, but in the end, google seemed like a quicker option. Below is the greek alphabet as it should look

Now, its pretty clear I was never going to be able to guess the entire alphabet. It probably wasn't helped by the fact there is only 24 letters and I was aiming for 26! Plus half of them make no sense! I get Alpha and Beta, but Phi, Chi and Psi are ridiculous! Plus could someone explain why Zeta (Which im assuming is the Z equivalent) is the sixth letter? I honestly have no idea how our language stemmed from this in any way possible

What do you think? Am I making valid points, or am I crazy?? Comment and decide!

- Mr. Phosphene

1 comment: